Things to Consider After An Accident
If you're involved in an accident, here are 10 steps you should always keep in mind:
- Get immediate help if anyone is hurt.
- Move your vehicle out of traffic if possible. Pull off the road and put on your emergency flashers to alert oncoming cars. Turn off the ignition to guard against fire.
- Get the other driver's name, address, phone number, make of the vehicle and license number.
- Get the name of the other driver's insurance company and their policy number.
- If possible, get witnesses' names, phone numbers and addresses.
- Examine the damage done to your car, as well as other vehicles involved.
- Do not admit fault to anyone. No matter how upset or embarrassed you may be, it is important to realize that any statement of fault or promise of financial settlement for damages can be used against you later.
- Do not discuss your car accident with anyone except your insurance representative and the police.
- Notify local and/or state authorities as prescribed by law.
- To report a claim, call (808) 544-3999 or toll-free at 1-800-413-1711.