Win a $25,000 Education Grant for Your School
Winners Announced for Our 2020 Education Innovation Teacher Grants
Congratulations to Tyler Gage of Chiefess Kamakahelei Middle School on Kauai and Wesley Adkins of James Campbell High School on Oahu, winners of our 2020 Education Innovation Teacher Grants.
Farmers Hawaii is honored to recognize and support two hardworking teachers. A grant of $25,000 has been awarded to Gage and Adkins each to implement the educational goals outlined in their submissions. We believe their ideas will inspire countless students to take their dreams to the next level, especially during these challenging times.
Gage's proposal, Pueo Business Leaders of Tomorrow, is about teaching students the business of hydroponic farming. With the opportunity to grow their own produce in the school's greenhouse, students will prepare and market their own products to the community at local farmers markets, donating revenue to local nonprofits.
Adkins proposed the Ewa Beach Drive-In, a drive-in cinema that will be created from start to finish by Adkins' students. From engineering the movie screen to running the snack bar and producing a film series, the drive-in cinema project will create unique opportunities for students to use critical thinking skills in the professional world.
In early 2020, Hawaii Department of Education teachers were invited to submit applications to the grant program detailing their education project ideas. A panel of local judges then reviewed and evaluated the applications using three key criteria -- innovation, community impact and execution, including long-term sustainability. One finalist was then selected from Oahu and one from a Neighbor Island.
Farmers Hawaii is committed to making a meaningful impact in the communities we serve. We are proud of how the Education Innovation Grant Program works to fulfill that mission.
Learn more about how Farmers Hawaii supports local communities.
Neighbor Island Finalists:
- Winner: Tyler Gage, Chiefess Kamakahelei Middle School, Kauai, Project Proposal: Pueo Business Leaders of Tomorrow
- Megan Ogle, Kula Elementary, Maui, Project Proposal: A STEAM Approach to AG Growth
- Michael Sado, Maui High School, Maui, Project Proposal: Combatting COVID-19 in the Community
- Winner: Wesley Adkins, James Campbell High School, Ewa Beach, Project Proposal: The Ewa Beach Drive-In
- Laurie Flores, Hau'ula Elementary School, Hau'ula, Project Proposal: Raising Awareness of Incredible Endemic Hawaiian Animals
- Jackie Tichepco, Leilehua High School, Wahiawa, Project Proposal: Virtual Learning for All